Wednesday 7 May 2014

More Jaggery Nutella Brownies


Jaggery Nutella Brownies

Usually I like the idea of brownies more than the brownies themselves.  Especially when they're commercially made, I find them so sweet they sting my mouth, and there's a strange flatness in their taste, possibly from the white flour.  These brownies are made with more substantial ingredients, whole wheat, nutella and jaggery, a raw Indian sugar.

I will confess here that I've posted this recipe before, but since we gobbled them down so quickly, I couldn't take any pictures.  Today I made these for our Tai Chi High Tea, a mother's day event.

This time I veered a little off the original recipe. My first recipe is very rich and squishy, and since these brownies need to be transported to the Tai Chi centre, and eaten while standing up, (in the middle of parting wild horse's mane, for example) I wanted them a little less squishy.  So I added additional whole wheat flour, increasing the amount to two thirds a cup.  I also cut down on the butter just a smidge, say a scant half cup rather than a level half cup.

You'd be crazy not to lick the spoon and cup afterwards...
This recipe takes three hours including cooling time and makes 9 two inch brownies.  325F.

Otherwise, I've used the same recipe:

2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (reserve a little)

scant 1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup jaggery (raw Indian sugar, or use brown if you must)
1 cup nutella

First, mix the flour and salt in a separate bowl.  In the mixing bowl, combine cooled melted butter, eggs, vanilla and jaggery.  Beat at medium speed till jaggery is dissolved.  Add the nutella.  (You are allowed to lick the spatula and measuring cup later.)
Beat till the jaggery is smoothly mixed in.

Turn the mixer onto low, and add half the flour mix, along with half the melted butter. Slowly mix in.  Add the rest of the flour and butter and continue to beat at medium speed.

Pour the batter into a parchment lined eight by eight inch pan.  Smooth with a spatula, and sprinkle in mere grains of the remaining coarse salt. These morsels need to be few and far between.

Bake at 325 F for thirty-five minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a rack for one hour.  Lift parchment and brownies from pan and continue to cool for another hour before cutting into squares.

As I said in my original recipe, these don't need icing.  If you like them super sweet, you could go ahead and make a chocolate butter icing, but why?  They are delicious as they are.
Even prettier when the nutella is blended in.



Too bad I couldn't keep the lot.


But no, I cut them up into two inch squares, wrapped them in saran, and I will confess I cut off this one rough edge, so hubby and I could each have a taste.

Jaggery Nutella Brownie
Yummmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment