Friday 19 September 2014

Savoy Tulsi Slaw

Savoy Tulsi Coleslaw

I needed coleslaw.  On a lazy day I wanted a store roasted chicken and sourdough bread, but factory manufactured coleslaw is but a death warrant of sugar and trans-fats, and the taste leaves a lot to be desired.  Only homemade and healthy would cut it.  But the only cabbage that was in good shape and small enough for my needs was a single little Savoy they had rolling around.  I took it home with me, and immediately regretted it when I tasted a leaf.  Bland, and a bit bitter.  It would need some serious doctoring up to be palatable.

It needed sweetening, but without sugar.   A few tulsi leaves, some fennel seeds and fresh lemon juice would do the trick.  This salad takes about fifteen minutes to prepare, and serves four easily.

1 small Savoy cabbage
1 very small red onion, or a bit of a bigger one
1 apple
half an avocado
10 tulsi leaves, (also known as Holy Basil)
pinch of fennel seeds
good squeeze of fresh lemon
ten grinds of fresh black pepper
1 scant tablespoon good oil (avocado is excellent)
salt to taste
pine nuts (optional)

I suppose that if you have no tulsi, you could use more fennel, as both have a somewhat licorice type of taste.  Fresh mint could also be substituted.  But since I am growing it, I have lots, and used that.  This recipe is like that for any salad.  

Don't peel that apple!  The pinkness is pretty and most nutrients are just under the peel.  Slice and dice the apple and vegetables to the size you prefer for a slaw, toss with the tulsi, fennel, lemon, pepper and oil, and then salt to taste.  

As the point of this salad was to counterbalance the roast chicken and thick slabs of buttered sourdough bread, I required no additional calories or protein, but the next day I had the leftover salad for my lunch, this time dressed with lots of pine nuts for protein.  Oh deliciousness. 


Savoy is the prettiest cabbage, but the taste is not my favourite.  But sometimes a not so great start is the beginning of something wonderful.  You know, necessity is the mother of invention.  

The Tulsi (Holy Basil) is wintering in my livingroom window... It will also make a good addition to chai, I expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment