Saturday 25 August 2012

The Liebster Award!







During the hectic days of my annual re-painting of the deck blue, and preparing for the big party I've posted about earlier, I was delighted to peek into my mail box and find I'd won another blogging award. Thanks to Divya Pramil at You Too Can Cook --Indian Food Recipes!

She mostly writes about Indian food, more authentically than I do, and knows more about it, so reading her posts is fascinating for me.  However, some of her recipes are international, and they look pretty delicious too.  Thank you to Divya again for thinking of me for this blogging award!

Now to get on with the rules involved with this award.  I see from Divya’s post that I can follow the rules, or play the personality test game she’s posted.  Back in my teaching days, I used to have students do a similar test/game, keeping the answers to themselves only, since the test revealed aspects of their personality to them.  I loved the game, and found it great for teaching the concept of symbolism, but I’m retired now, and will stick strictly to the food!  So here I go complying with the first rule. 

 1.       Say eleven things about yourself. 
worth a thousand words?
Hah!  Being a former teacher, who loved to teach creative writing I encouraged writers to be succinct, so I’ll try to do this quickly.  Although I’ve been totally retired for two years, I still like to write and read, and I have another blog about books.  I don’t blog about books as often as I do about food, because creating recipes and eating them are my absolute favourite activities.  I envied the home economics teachers at school because instead of marking essays, they got to sample chocolate cake, and I thought that sounded fabulous!  (I’m a way too messy and undisciplined to have taught that course!)  I also love to garden, enjoy beauty everywhere and feed my family!

2.      Answer Divya’s (my taggers) questions.

     a.      What was the inspiration behind your blog?  Writing down my recipes so I wouldn’t forget     them! If I use paper, they still get lost under the fridge somewhere.

  1. Which one do you prefer: A vacation trip to mountains or islands?  Islands any day, if they’re tropical. 
  2. Craziest thing you've ever done – Taking a 14th class, I swear, train from Goa to Hampi.
  3. What is your idea for a perfect breakfast? –Leftover hot spicy dinner from the night before.
  4. Who is your favorite blogger? –Shalini from Baketitude.  She’s so funny and she has great pics and recipes.
  5. What kind of music do you enjoy? – Classical European and Classical Indian, Jazz and World.
  6. What is your idea of a perfect vacation? - A quiet time by the ocean, with the Goan relatives.
  7. What is your favorite past time? – Cooking!
  8. Which is your favorite place to shop in this world? Grocery stores!  But only if they have lots of international ingredients.
  9. Are you active or quite or calm person? – I get a lot done, so I must be active, but I try to be a calm person.
  10. What quality do you most like in yourself and why? – I love Socrate’s idea that the unexamined life is not worth living.  I try to always examine my reactions to this world. 

3.      Tag eleven other bloggers who deserve this award.

That’s easy for me:

a.       Shalini at Baketitude for her hilarious, beautiful and interesting recipes.

b.      Kanan Patel at Spice up the Curry for her amazing recipes.

c.       Meghana for her great Indian recipes at Meg's Delicious Adventures

d.      Luckiest1 at J(and)me Cooking Jamie because she’s also in Canada, and she posts about Indian recipes sometimes, and Jamie Oliver always!

e.       Apu at Annarasa, The Essence of Food for great Indian recipes

f.       Edith at Inch by Inch quilting (I’ve never quilted but I like to gaze at her gorgeous designs—especially the quilt she made out of men’s ties!)

g.      Manisha at Indian Food Rocks, who just had a fabulous and successful cooking demonstration in Colorado with some famous chefs!

h.      Radhika at Tickling Palates for her gorgeous pictures and delicious Indian recipes, and her Facebook presence!

i.        Susan at As Long as You Have a Garden for her great posts about famous gardens and her own as well.

j.        Brenda at Unending Dirt for her respect for Mother Nature, and the ground beneath our feet.

k.      Me, yes that’s me, myself and I at Finding The Book That Heals 

 

4.      The next rule is to create eleven more questions to ask my award receivers, above.  Here they are:


a.       What was the first dish you ever made?

b.      Who taught you how to cook it?

c.       What was your favourite food as a child?

d.      What was your least favourite?

e.       Have you ever fantasized about creating a certain flavour combination?

f.       If you have, what is that flavour combination?

g.      Are there any common flavour combinations you can’t stand?

h.      What’s your favourite dish to cook now?

i.        What’s your favourite dish to eat?

j.        When you go into a restaurant, what do you usually order?

k.      What did you cook today?

 
Please do check out the above bloggers' sites, because they are all wonderful, each in their own way!  Thanks again to Divya for passing this award along to me!

Here's the rules so you can cut and paste:


 

Rule 1: Post 11 things about yourself
Rule 2: Answer the tagger's questions
Rule 3: Tag and pass the awards to 11 other bloggers
Rule 4: Create 11 questions for the bloggers to answer
Rule 5: Go to bloggers page and inform them about the awards
Rule 6: No tagging back




8 comments:

  1. Wow loved to read more about you and such a lovely post :) Whenever I think of passing the awards you come to my mind first for your good work :) Anyways congrats again for the well deserved award Mary...
    and those clicks; are they your idea?? Looks so awesome..

    Today's Recipe - Chicken Coconut Milk Curry
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Divya,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. The clicks are all my back yard, the result of my repainting that deck blue. I can't wait to get to your peanut candy recipe!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your award. Nice to know few things about you. And thank you very much for passing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Can't wait to try your amazing strawberry bread!

      Delete
  3. thanx for the award...and love the fact tat I am your first on thr list
    post coming up asap...am dying of overwork right now!!
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does take a bit of time! You're very welcome. I always enjoy reading your recipes!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for thinking of me! So nice to know I'm not talking to myself LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! You are definitely not just talking to yourself! I really like Jamie too, by the way, although I was way too busy during his big food event. I'd hoped to take party, but there just wasn't the time.

      Delete